Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Yes, Sensei?

I have a lot of great/interesting teachers. But the best teacher award for this semester, albeit a close race, goes to Nick Guo. He teaches my Microeconomics class. We gave him the loving title of Master Goo because of the first day of class, he said that he got a Masters in Economics so we should call him Master instead of teacher. Followed right after by a , "Of course, I kid." This is a term you'll hear him say alot in classes. Now if you are in his class and you're not paying attention, there is no way you can know what he is talking about because most of the time you have to try and translate what he is saying. Pretty much straight outta China, he's still getting used to the English language. The first few classes I was confused because I thought I had to get some sort of Tax Book for the class. Three classes later, I come to find out that he was saying Textbook. I wasn't the only one confused either. Here are some other funny phrases needing a little bit of translation:
  • "If you are late to class, I will have to punch you." = "If you are late to class, I will have to punish you."
  • On the board he wrote "SUBUSTUE", which I found out later on he meant SUBSTITUTE.
  • "Peas and root bear are also example of compliments." = "Pizza and rootbeer are also example of compliments."
  • "Seltzer and chips would work too." = "Salsa and chips would work too."
Obviously, there is a bit of a language barrier. It's funny because my friends and I are usually asked to translate. Master Goo sees us as friends and I feel honored.

The other day, Master Goo was really excited because he had a video clip to show us for class. When it was time, this is what he showed us...

Needless to say, I am never bored in Master Goo's class.

1 Quips:

Anonymous said...

haha love it westside!!