Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Shut Down

So every morning I wake up at about 8 and leave at 9 to get to class. Basically i'm into the same routine. Alarm goes off, hit the snooze button, goes off again, hit the snooze button, Alarm goes off for third time, and I roll out of bed. Then I eat, change, and start my hike down my four flights of stairs. It's not that very exciting, but at least I get that far. However, every morning, when I start walking to class, there is this chinese kid who is on our patio, doing TAI CHI!!!! This kid is from a chinese family currently residing within our building. Weird, I know, but they are hilarious. Anywho, every time I had passed him in my first week, I thought, "That is the best way to start any morning." And every day, I'd wish that I would join him.

Finally I decided I was all talk, and no walk.

I went up to this kid on my way to class. I felt bad cause I had interrupted his peaceful state or whatever. This is how it went. (Keep in mind, I didn't understand him very well, he's chinese)

Me- Hey there! So, do you do this every morning?
Kip (let's call him kip)- Ya, is best for morning.
Me- Yeah, it seems like it! Did you take lessons or something?
Kip- *after much confusion* My dad, (points to self) teach me."
Me- Oh right! Okay yeah, that is very cool! Well, I keep seeing you out here every morning, and I was wondering if you would mind if someone like me would join you?
Kip-*Most confused look on his face*
Me- *Point to myself then to him.* Would you care if I joined you???
Kip-No, a-no I don't think so...
Me- No, as in you don't mind??
Kip- No, I'd mind.
Me- Oh.......
Kip- I get nervous.
*Awkward Silence*
Me- Okay, well that's fine, I better be off to class. Maybe I'll see you around?
Kip- *Grabs his stick and goes back into postion as he nods his head.*

Shut down. Well, can't say I didn't try. I still like Kip though, he's a great kid. Still is a bummer I couldn't join!! C'est La Vie....

2 Quips:

anna said...

i bet kip would love for you to join him... sounds like he didn't really understand. language barrier.

so glad you like college! i may be coming up this weekend to visit emily so we should definitely do something.. maybe we could join kip's morning session. miss you!

Amie said...

Mandi. YOU ARE MY HERO. I would never do something like that. That's hilarious.