Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Hips Don't Lie

So just to fill everyone in, I am taking a Kayaking class.
Yes, Kayaking. I wanted to try something new, and this sounded like a blast.
We have class in the pool and go over different techniques of kayaking.
Yesterday, we learned how to T-save a buddy. T-saving is where your buddy has flipped under, and can't get back up, out of the water.
So we partnered up, and watched as our partner struggled under water until we came to rescue them.
Here's how it worked:
1- One partner rolls under water.
2- The one under water then continues to tap on the kayak 3 times.
3- Once the partner sees you tap, they then hit the partner's kayak to form a T.
4- The person under water then grasps for the handle on their partner's boat and flips back over.
I didn't realize I had picked such a suicidal sport.
As we were running the T-save, my instructor Mike came over to help me out. I was struggling ALOT. Mike told me to flip the hip, but all I could do was spaz out. After what seemed like a minute I finally got up right with my partner laughing at me.
Mike then continued to tell me how for homework, I was to loosen up my hips. Find the Shakira hips deep from within.
Those of you who know me, or at least have seen me dance... Know that I do not have Shakira hips deep down inside. They just don't move the right way.
This homework assignment should prove to be very interesting...

1 Quips:

Karli said...

mandi i love that you're in a kayaking class! I would be really bad at that... i'm pretty sure i wouldnt be able to save anyone if they were upside down.