Wednesday, June 24, 2009

"Are You Serious?"

So a couple of friends and I decided that we really wanted to go on a hike. Bell Canyon being a favorite of ours, we met up early in the morning and began our adventure. With a expected, very long hike, it was unfortunately cut short by a very unfortunate event. So we had hiked for a good 2 hours when we decided, we were on the wrong side of the run-off. So we tried to find a point to cross. In the picture above, we joked about crossing the log, but knew it was too dangerous, so we had decided to take pictures on it instead. Well I was up first, turned out okay, and then my friend wanted to have a turn. Well she handed off her camera and I turned my back to get to a safe place to take the picture. Well, as I was walking with my back turned, I heard a scream. I whipped back around to find my friend monkeying the log upside down. My first reply was, "Are you serious?" as I dashed over. She was just laughing, which made me laugh, but we were both very freaked out in reality! The run-off was huge! The biggest I'd seen it! So I put my arm out to grab her and pull her out. Seconds later she was telling me to let go. I replied with, "Are you crazy? I'm not letting go!". But when I did, I had realized she found a rock to stand against the current and get out herself. Did anyone else think that moment was a lot like the Titanic? ("No Jack, I'll never let go!" Then she lets him go.) Welp, with that climatic experience, we felt it was time to end the hike. We joke about it now, but it's absolutely crazy and terrifying to think about the What If's of that situation. It was a spectacular miracle that I will never forget.

0 Quips: